Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Crazy Valentine's Day!

Valentine's Day is usually one of my favorite holidays. I love to make heart shaped sugar-cookies, surprise the kids with cute little homeade valentine's and go out to dinner with my sweetheart. Mostly because I was put in charge of a school Valentine's party for 100 3rd graders, this year I was feeling a little too frazzled to enjoy Valentines day as much as I would have liked. And is that wasn't enough, I decided that all of my girls should make homeade Valentine's for their classes along with presents for their teachers and a treats for their friends who aren't in their class. Needless to say, I was a little bit stressed last week and there were no heart-shaped pancakes for my family on Valentine's Day morning. Oh well, can't be a super mom all the time, right?
All in all I think the party was a success and, hopefully, by the time I ever have to do that again, I will have learned the art of delegating. In the meantime, if anyone out there ever needs Valentine's Day party ideas feel free to call me!

Here are the few pictures I managed to take in my scattered state last week:Rachel enjoyed her first school Valentine's party this year even though she missed half of it because I forgot that they had changed the starting time from the normal 11:00 to 10:00 because of the party!
I've seen these all over on-line, maybe you have too. You take all your little broken pieces of crayons and melt them in the oven in a heart mold to make these cute little heart-shaped crayons. It was actually a lot more work that I would have thought it would be because you have to peel all the crayons and then break (or chop) them into really small pieces. I forgot to put the mold on a cookie sheet before putting it in the oven and had crayon wax dripping onto the bottom of my oven, then I tried to pick them up and almost spilled the rest all over. We were able to salvage them in the end, but when I mentioned to Rachel that we might have to try it again she said "I don't want to--it was too hard" to which I responded, "Okay, we'll just have to go buy some Barbie valentine's from the store."Eliza made these cute tootsie pop flowers which she actually wasn't too thrilled about because she really wanted to make these other flower valentine's we saw on-line that used those little flat suckers that they used to give out at the bank drive-through when I was kid. Unfortunately, I couldn't find those suckers at any of the grocery stores around here so she got the tootsie pop flowers instead. She was okay with it in the end.

Emma actually took these pictures (she asked me too, but then took matters into her own hands when she saw that I was busy with one of my many projects) of the hot cocoa valentine's she made for her class. I thought this was a really fun idea and she actually did most of it all by herself which was great for mom. The girls also gave these cute little handprint valentine's to their teachers with a little bottle of lotion inside.

By the time Ben and went out on our for our Valentine's date on Friday night, I was completely exhausted. Then to top it off, I had told him all week that I wanted to go to the Union Grill in Ogden for dinner and we ended up waiting almost an hour to be seated. Next time, I think we'll just go to a burger joint and save the fancy stuff for a weekend other than Valentine's day weekend!

Ben brought me home these beautiful flowers on Saturday. The other part of my present was a Costco membership, which I've been wanting for a long time. Yay!

We also had a really fun family dinner on Valentine's day which I was going to take pictures of, but didn't. We had a really fun time at my parent's house with my sister, brother and one of our favorite friends from college, Clay.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Soooooooo cute. Have you seen my craft blog, cause I swear I had like all these ideas on there!? Maybe you and I are just checking out the same fun blogs/sites! Good work - I love it all!

Toots said...

ALl of those Valentine's look like so much work---but I can tell how happy your girls are afterward! That is a ton of work to do a party on your own--yes, delegate!
I have always loved Valentine's day, and I LOVED the Union Grill..one of my favs. I am excited you got a Costco membership! I have loved having mine since last summer.