Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Fun

It's hard enough to keep the kids busy during the summer. This summer I have the added challenges of a) hot weather that keeps us indoors most a lot of the time and b) I don't know any of the neighbors and therefore, can't send the kids off to play with the neighbor kids.
Under the circumstances, I am trying my best to keep the kids busy and happy (aka not fighting). And even though we haven't met a lot of kids in our neighborhood to play with, we have met some really awesome people in our new ward--thank goodness for the church!

Last week we made a fire in our backyard, made smores and sang campfire songs. The kids had a great time roasting and eating lots of marshmallows and got nice and dirty. I honestly have no idea how people in Arizona keep their children clean with the lack of grass and the abundance of dirt! Hazel had her first marshmallow. YUM!
On Monday we were invited to have family home evening with a really neat family in our ward, the Konopnickis. We had a great time getting to now them and are happy to be making some new friends.

On Tuesday, we went on an "adventure day". A sister in our ward came up with the idea to have weekly summertime activites which totally reminded me of all the fun summer activities we did with our friends in Harrisville last year. This weeks "adventure" was ice blocking on the EA campus. I am sad I didn't take my camera, but we had a really fun time. I had never actually been ice blocking before, but it seemed to be the perfect Arizona summertime activity. We are going to have to go again and next time I'll get pictures!

Just a couple of days ago I saw this cute craft idea on skiptomylou.org and just knew it was something my kids would enjoy. We made paper dolls and decorated them with scrap fabric and ribbon. Check it out at: http://www.skiptomylou.org/2010/06/16/fabric-scrap-dolls-from-this-mama-makes-stuff/



1 comment:

Toots said...

Hey Mistie,
Thanks for your nice email. I loved that. It's great to get these updates with you guys! I laughed when you said you didnt know how other Arizona Mom's keep their kids clean with little grass and a lot of dirt! :) You should take some pics of your house so we can all see it. The kids look like they are having a good time with the roasting of mallows and the paper dolls. Fun ideas!
I am also glad you guys have been starting to get to know people there...the "Adventure Day" sounds fun. And the FHE with new friends too.
We are doing good here. It will hit 90 today!